Hello Sharon Community,
Welcome to the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year! This year, the Elementary Foreign Language Elementary School (FLES) will be fully integrated into 1st and 2nd grade classrooms in the Sharon Public Schools. This is an exciting endeavor for Sharon students. The FLES program will:
- Enhance students’ interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational communication skills.
- Support students in using the target language to investigate, evaluate, and reflect on cultural practices through compare and contrast.
- Support students speaking the target language beyond the classroom to collaborate with diverse cultures and engage in responsible global citizenship.
The FLES program is designed to prepare students to be global thinkers and speakers!
II. FLES video interview on Sharon TV:I. Fast Facts about the Spanish Language
- According to a Pew Research Center report, an estimated 37.6 million people in the U.S. speak Spanish as their first language. Analysts predict the Latino population will reach approximately 128.8 million by 2060, likely making it the largest Spanish speaking country in the world.
- With the rapidly increasing Hispanic population, there is a multitude of career fields in the US that need Spanish speakers. Among them are health care workers, social workers, lawyers, entrepreneurs, teachers, salespeople, translators, and many more.
- Spanish is the 4th most commonly spoken language worldwide, spoken by at least 350 million people.
III. Benefits of Speaking Spanish Fluently